Consistent with our guiding principles, Texans for Fiscal Responsibility has identified 12 key legislative priorities for the 87th Texas Legislature. Republicans maintain strong majorities — there are no excuses for lawmakers to be derelict in their duty to pass commonsense reforms called for by the grassroots.
Legislation in line with these priorities will be considered in the 2021 Fiscal Responsibility Index. (Legislators and the public are notified in advance when pending votes are subject for consideration.) Legislators will receive extra credit for authoring or sponsoring legislation that advances these priorities and that receives an up-or-down vote on the floor of their respective chamber.
- Eliminating Taxpayer-Funded Lobbying
- Providing Property Tax Relief for Texas Families
- Reforming the Property Tax System to Give Texans Greater Say
- Strengthening the State’s Spending Limit
- Reforming the Budget Process to Identify Savings
- Eliminating Corporate Welfare
- Ending the Automatic Collection of Labor Union Dues
- Protecting the Rights of Everyday Texans